Monday, May 16, 2011

The Demon-Haunted World

Finished reading "The Demon-Haunted World" last night.  That is, of course, a phenomenal book by the late, great Carl Sagan.  I must say that I really enjoyed reading this fine work.  I had a lot of time off due to the tornadoes here in North Alabama, so I was able to read through it without most of the typical distractions of the day.  It really made my displacement for one whole week a lot easier with the words of Dr. Sagan.  He uses his usual love of science, history, and literature to express the importance of science education, especially in these modern days.

Now I am left with the next big question: What should I read next?  I have decided to take up a couple books to read.  It has been a long while since I read a novel, so I picked up "2001: A Space Odyssey" by Arthur C. Clarke.  I have not seen the movies, so I am looking forward to jumping into the story mostly blind.  I guess this should mean I should watch the movie after reading this book.

I will also pick up another science book for my reading arsenal.  This time it is Michio Kaku's classic, "Hyperspace."  Whereas "Beyond Einstein" (an earlier Kaku book on a similar topic), was about the properties of superstring theory on matter, "Hyperspace" is to be about the nature of space-time under superstring theory.  This is supposed to be Dr. Kaku's breakthrough work into popular science reading and I greatly enjoyed a few of his other books, so I am sure I will enjoy this one quite well.

Other than that, I am back into the normal routine.  The semester had a rocky ending, but I earned my A's.  I am taking a little break from political and social topics for now to focus on the summer semester and nerdy things.

This has been yet another mind dump after a short absence from my blog.

- Forsaken Eagle

No comments:

Post a Comment